PLM Channel Consulting Client Case Study B
A privately held independent software provider (ISP or ISV) of engineering simulation software, operating in the CAE market segment of PLM, offered a new generation of market disrupting industry-specific finite element analysis (FEA) tools usable by design engineers as well as expert analysts.
The client was quite successful in their historic focus on one primary industry and customer base, aerospace & defense. However, they struggled with developing a go-to-market strategy that would make them instantly more attractive to indirect sales channels and relevant to technology alliance partners outside of A&D. This was of vital importance to remedy since the client did not desire nor have the capacity to grow their own direct sales force beyond their targeted industry. Instead, they preferred to collaborate with partners and participate in creative alliances which would allow them to remain focused on maturing their very innovative technology base and product offering.
The initial project was to collaborate with the client’s executive team over a period of three months to develop, frame, vet, and tune a bold new market strategy for creating partnerships, alliances, and sales channels around the rapidly emerging new market segment of Simulation Apps. The engagement goals included re-imagining how their existing product positioning, competitive differentiation, user messaging, value propositions, and customer presentations could evolve–or be scrapped if needed–to support the new market space and partner-scape opportunities.
Reasons Cited for Selection:
- √ Possessed deep knowledge and hands-on experience with the simulation and analysis market including keen insights on industry trends and the competitive landscape.
- √ Previous project experience which resulted in the ideation of a new thought leadership theme that raised the awareness of and respect for the client’s technology when presented to managers who were not simulation experts.
- √ Listening skills as evidenced by proposing an engagement that was right-sized and priced for the bandwidth and budget of the client’s team to digest and execute.
- √ Sincere enthusiasm for the market space and confidence in the client’s ability to seize the opportunity in front of them regardless of challenges, both internal and external.
- Market Opportunity Reconnaissance and Business Assessment
- Partner Strategy Review, Development, and Vetting
- Positioning, Messaging, and Value Proposition for the Partner Chain
- New Partner Identification and Target Prioritization
- Partner Engagement Collaterals including Go-to-Market Playbooks
Identified and dissected the different market space opportunities available for the client to pursue or manifest, and then evaluated and ranked their potential. Wrote the business strategy plan and formulated the tactical playbook for engaging prospective partners, both channel resellers and software OEM opportunities. Identified over 50 prospective resellers and licensing partners to be engaged and worked in Phase 2. Handcrafted a portfolio of new collaterals and presentations using refreshed positioning, language, messaging, and value propositions for use in partnership building. Prepared the organization for the next phase of engaging and supporting new partners by helping to reshape how the company presented and positioned itself and history.
The PLM Alliances consulting services contract was renewed for Phase 2 for a full additional year of partner development and management consulting.
“Rich through PLM Alliances helped us to quickly understand where the gaps were in both our expectations and execution of partner development strategies. He was equally creative, methodical, and resolute in enlarging our view of potential market opportunities, some of which we had simply overlooked. His engineering competency to understand what we had in our technology base, combined with his sales acumen to frame it using new language that partners could both understand and value, was both rare and powerful. He earned our trust to be considered an embedded member of the team for follow-on work.” Client’s President and CEO.
To request more PLM channel consulting references Contact PLM Alliances.